Proust’s Questionnaire is completed this issue by Gina Lazenby
The universe is always working in my favour
- What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I’m probably lying in a hammock looking at the most fantastic view with a book in my hand or reading Wired magazine, and it’s very warm weather. Or I am sitting in Business Class flying to that place!
- What is your greatest fear?
That not enough people will wake up to change the direction of humanity in time to make a real difference.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
The toughest question for me to answer. Leos can be very proud and have blind spots.
- What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Making judgments before listening to people’s story or finding out what is really going on.
- Which living person do you most admire?
Dadi Janki. Still working full-time in her 100th year.
- What is your greatest extravagance?
Doing nothing, particularly when there’s lots to do.
- What is your current state of mind?
Optimistic, trusting that everything will work out.
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Achievement. Too much emphasis on what people do rather than who they become.
- On what occasion do you lie?
To protect someone from hearing something that might be painful or they are not ready to face.
- What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I wouldn’t mind a bit more muscle tone (but that I can fix, with a bit of effort!)
- Which living person do you most despise?
I do not despise anyone, it’s not a word in my vocabulary. There’s often another side to the story.
- What is the quality you most like in a man?
Chivalry. Listening (can I add that he makes me laugh)
- What is the quality you most like in a woman?
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Amazing. At least I don’t say “awesome” !
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
I’m upset to find I don’t have one, but then I realise I actually have been blessed with many loves 🙂
- When and where were you happiest?
In my early teens when I was care-free, skipped to school and laughed every day
- Which talent would you most like to have?
Be an artist and draw cartoons. Or be a great comedy writer.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Be faster with my one-liners … I always think of a pithy come-back after the event!
- What do you consider your greatest achievement?
All the work I have done that celebrates the importance and value of our homes and the vital role of women as care-givers and change-makers.
- If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A Grammy award-winning singer, like Bette Midler. I love her voice and her humour.
- Where would you most like to live?
Overlooking Sydney Harbour, next to a warm ocean, a Yorkshire Dales hilltop (there is no one single place that has everything I find inspiring… so far)
- What is your most treasured possession?
My iPhoto Library with over 100,000 visual memories that will never fade
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Feeling alone and unconnected, even when one is surrounded by people
- What is your favourite occupation?
Cooking a wholesome meal for a gathering of friends. Perfect use of my skills!
- What is your most marked characteristic?
Generosity and a kind smile
- What do you most value in your friends?
They are a conscious and compassionate circle of people with a great sense of humour
- Who are your favourite writers?
Kate Mosse, Daphne Du Maurier, Wilbur Smith
- Who is your hero of fiction?
Miss Marple. A very old woman who still has all her marbles and uses them to great effect! She always gets results.
- Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Trailblazing women who changed the game throughout history and who are largely forgotten. Heroines whose names and accomplishments were never celebrated.
- Who are your heroes in real life?
All the Nobel Peace Prize winners. An awesome (sorry amazing) collection of humanity!
- What are your favourite names?
Angel names like Gabriel and Michael.
- What is it that you most dislike?
Judgement, injustice and anything that is used to separate people.
- What is your greatest regret?
I never learned to play a musical instrument while at school or mastered a foreign language.
- How would you like to die?
Very peacefully of old age, feeling complete and ready to go. Job done.
- What is your motto?
The universe is always working in my favour